WednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySundayMondayTuesday
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Napalm_Prime
Officer

re: Favorite Tolkien Character

I think detail is good! I felt bad giving such a Cliff Notes version of my answer.
Celimbror

Good choices guys! :D

Mine without a doubt are: 1st, Fingolfin High King of the Noldor from The Silmarillion. He is an epic character and you have to have some serious guts to ride solo into Angband to challenge Melkor (Morgoth himself). Happy

2nd, Haldir from The Fellowship of the Ring. Yes he is awesome in movie as well (even though he has no role in The Two Towers book, his death was still tragic in film) he is probably one of the few Elves of Lorien that knows Westron, the common language of Middle Earth. And also he is probably one of the few Elves of Lorien to venture far beyond Lorien's borders. Which makes him even more awesome because he is aware of the ins and outs of Middle Earth.

3rd, Boromir from The Fellowship of the Ring. Yes he may of been a little bit of a jerk to Aragorn/Frodo and others. But he had the most epic turn around in the end when he fought to the death defending Merry and Pippin. I never would have expected him with such honorable conduct in his last moments of life. The whole scene (in book and movie) at Amon Hen is one of the most well written and beautiful scenes because it shows that the heart of man in Middle Earth is yet capable of honorable conduct even to death.

Sorry a lot of detail on these XD
Napalm_Prime
Officer

Faramir is a fantastic character! I was also angry with the Two Towers movie for that. And how close the ringwraith got to Frodo in Osgiliath. At that point in the story Sauron could take physical form again and was extremely powerful. It would have been lights out if that had happened. And they totally blew the Faramir character with that whole thing. Sad too, because the guy playing that part did an excellent job of it.
Tralin Steelbow
Gyladon
Council

So, actually I have two favourites. Here they are:

The first one is Túrin Turamber, because even though he has been deceived many times, and he has comitted terrible deeds (deliberately or by accident) he turned out to be a good man, just one with bad luck, and I'm just fascinated by his tragedy.

Secondly, there is a character i possible like even more than Túrin: Faramir. Just because he is such a humble, noble, and good man, not even collapsing under the disfavour of his father, Denethor, who wished Faramir would have died and Boromir would have lived. He kept trying to please his father, and he never collapsed because he couldn't succeed. Also, I find it scandalous that in the motion picure, they let him get corrupted by the ring, cause that's one of the things that fascinates me the most about him; he never fell for the will of the ring in the book, he didn't even consider using it for himself, or to imrove his reputation with it.

So these are my two favourites.

Napalm_Prime
Officer

Oh, this is a tough one. Especially since I loaned my copy of the Silmarillion and never got it back! I am torn between some of the 1st age Elves, and Beren and Turin. Turin caused a lot of damage, but he was under a curse, and was able to slay the Big Ugly dragon. I think Beren though, would be my favorite right now. I suppose that would really be Beren and Luthien, they were a couple. I like how he was able to stick it to Morgoth and even cut one of the Silmarils from his crown. Like most of the characters that are important enough in the stories to have some of their own focus, there is a lot of tragedy. On the balance though, theirs ends fairly well. :D
Celimbror

Hello kin!

I am interested to hear everyone's favorite Tolkien character. The character can be selected from ANY of Tolkien's works. The Silmarillion, LOTR Trilogy, The Hobbit, and etc.

Post a reply with some detail of why you selected this character (why he/she is your favorite, facts, etc) and maybe some discussion will follow Happy

Hope to hear from some of you!

Celimbror
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Men-of-Bree Forum Index -> LOTR Lore All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: